Construction - 6x8 Hut - Hi Hat Roof Panel
This can be a challenging panel to build, particularly if you aren't careful.
- Build the 93" by 75" stud frame.
- Align the long end of a 96"x48" plywood double layer to the 93" top stud. Attach so there's a 1.5" overhang on each side.
- Using the thin side of a 2x4 stud scrap, which is 1.5" wide, square the frame by making sure that the 1.5" overhang runs consistently down both sides of the panel. Secure the square.
- Attach the second piece of plywood to the now-squared frame. Snap your chalk lines. Finish attaching the sheathing.
- Screw the 96" overhang stud onto the top of the panel, capping the overhang plywood. Do not use nails! The 1.5" stud overhangs slide into the notches on the top of the gables, meaning that the roof panel's weight pulls directly against the overhang stud; although unlikely, this could pull the nails out. Use screws.